11.19.2008

Our New (to us) Table

So here's the story behind our new (to us) table. We use to have a beautiful round table with four chairs, which worked for the two of us just fine. When we had two other people over it was fine also, but not very much room to put serving bowls or plates of food. So I have been asking and begging and pleading for a new table...a bigger one with a leaf (we sometimes have a lot of people over for meals and have to get out the card table and that next to a round table just doesn't work) So I've been on the hunt. Every Thrift Store, Flea Market, Second Hand Shop, Classifieds and of course Craig's List. No Luck!
(I'm working under a budget...a real tight one)
So last month when we were visiting Jon's sister Nikki ,she told us we could have her table and chairs. (they had gotten a new kitchen set and didn't want this one...but we talked her into using it as a game table upstairs in her bonus room, because we wanted something with dark wood) Then this last time we went up to visit Nikki and Tommy, they were getting a sectional couch delivered for the upstairs room to make it into a TV room..so the table didn't fit. Nikki told us if we didn't take it she was throwing it out! So we had to take it!
Now we have a new (to us) table, with a leaf and chairs. Happy ending right? Wrong! Almost happy ending...Jon decided he didn't like the chairs that go with the table..no padding (and he has no fat on his bony behind so I'm sure it's really uncomfortable to sit on hard surfaces. I personally don't have a problem..I take my padding everywhere I go, for just such a problemo) We decided to use our old chairs. The only problem is they don't really match.(but at least now we have lots of chairs for our guests) We took the old table apart, wrapped it up and put it upstairs in the out building
(or as I call it 'Jon's Play House'...like Pee Wee's only he doesn't have fun friends that come to hang out,yet)
And while we were out there, we were attacked (well not literally but I thought it could happen at any time) by Hornets (well, Jon says they are Mud Daubers..but whatever still scary) They were swarming around up there! SCARY!! (He set off a bug bomb...and they are dead now...at least the ones in the building, some of their friends are still hanging around outside, mourning their loss)
Any hoo back to my story, So I went on the hunt for a table cloth and found a great one for 3$..I know right?! We have a warehouse store here called Ecel-Lindy and they have Kitchen and Bathroom stuff that they sell to bed bath and beyond, target etc. for deeeeeeep discounts...I picked this table cloth because it has yellow in it, so when it's covering the top of the table it almost looks like the legs of the table are painted yellow to match. Almost. Just squint.
And that is the story of our new (to us) table. Cuz I know y'all were just dying to know!

3 comments:

nurselynn said...

Very nice table! I like the cloth, it goes very nicely with the other colors, your wood floor, etc. Are those your old chairs? they look great. Save the new hard ones for your padded relatives (ie, me!)
Sweet deal! You are truly a bargain shopper.

Erin said...

now you can have people over all the time! Why don't you just sand and restain the table and chairs a darker color to match your old chairs? I know, its work, but what else have you got to do???? :-)

Da Browns said...

LISTEN SISTER...I got all kinds of stuff to do...can't think of what right now but stuff! And do you know how long it took me to refinish the dresser?...I still haven't finished the drawers!